Monday, January 24, 2011

All the Pretty Horses beginning of part II to pg 132

This section started out pretty confusing to me. I understand that Rawlins and John Grady work on the ranch now, and were sent to inspect the horses and want to break them in before 4 days are up. However, I was pretty unclear about how the horses were "broken." There were many terms used that I was unclear on and Im sure other readers were too. I didn't understand why McCarthy chose to add these descriptions in this part when they'd be so confusing to the majority of readers. Because of my confusion it was a struggle to read this part because I had so much trouble interpreting what was happening. Afterwards though, I understood that the two had a conversation with Don Hector, the hacendado. During this talk, John Grady and the hacendado discuss different types of horses on the ranch, and John Grady impresses the hacendado with his vast knowledge of horses. At the end of the talk, the hacendado says "come, I will show you some horses." and the section breaks off. In the next section, Rawlins mentions an opportunity for John. The opportunity is never mentioned in this little section. But I guessed it was a promotion sort of thing. In the section after that it again talks about John Grady and horses which I found boring, but Alejandra is mentioned, the daughter of Don Hector. Rawlins talks to John Grady about her and how she goes to a prep school in Mexico City. Sunday afternoon, the two go to La Vega and, realizing they have a good deal of money, decide to buy some clothes and a black pair of boots for Rawlins, which he seems to disapprove of. The section that I read concludes with a little bit of excitement, when John Grady adn Alejandra dance together in La Vega. He seems to have a thing for her, calling her pretty and such. But after the dance, he goes back to talking about horses with Don Hector, which was boring again. After this though, he again talks to Alejandra, who convinces him to let her ride an unsaddled horse. He thinks he will get in trouble but she says he already is in trouble. The last time he sees her before she goes back to Mexico City she is riding out of the mountains on the horse, and he describes her as a real rider on a real horse, but says she is still just a dream to him.

This section was pretty boring to me overall. I hope the book will get more exciting from here, maybe even adding in what happened to Blevins. I'm still curious to know what happened to him, if he was caught and killed or not, so I hope we learn eventually. As for Rawlins, I hope he doesn't get too jealous of John Grady's new obsession with Alejandra and the promotion thing I'm assuming he took. I also wonder how Don Hector will feel if he ever finds out John has a thing for his daughter. I guess I'll have to keep reading to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment