Saturday, January 29, 2011

Memoirs of a Geisha up to pg. 280

I feel like a lot has happened in these past 80 pages, but that it would be near impossible to explain it all in one clear post as thoroughly as I could. So unlike the last few posts I've had, here's my attempt at a brief summary of chapters 18 through 24...or at least half of 24. I stopped half way, because it is right before Sayuri's mizuage. I know what you're probably asking right now...what's a mizuage? As awkward a this part of the novel may be, it's when the geisha loses her virginity. However, men bid thousands of Yen to be the first "eel to explore a cave" as Mameha explains to Sayuri. Mizuage is the most important part of this whole section because all the events that took place during this time had something to do with her mizuage. I learned Mameha's plan to take down Hatsumomo in this section; to get two men, Nobu and a Doctor, to take an interest in Sayuri, to the point where they would bid so extravagantly for her mizuage that Sayuri would bring in enough money to pay off her debts to the okiya, which would cause Mother to adopt her instead of Pumpkin, and which would put Sayuri in a higher authority than Hatsumomo in the okiya, since she is an actual family member. Mameha's plan worked, although there was a slight variable she had not suspected. Mameha's danna, the Baron, took an interest in Sayuri, after Mameha could not attend a party and he requested her presence instead. After all his guests had left, he asked Sayuri to stay. He gave her one of his most beautiful kimono from his collection, and then took her into his room and undressed her. This prompted him to bid on her mizuage, which rose the price even higher than Mameha's was. Mameha is a little disheartened at this, but still strives to make Sayuri successful.

That's about the shortest summary I can give. In case you are wondering, yes, I did leave out some small exciting events. But it's only to prompt you to read the novel yourself. My summaries don't do the book any justice. I love to read it, just because of how well I understand it. The imagery is so vivid, I feel like I am a fly on every wall in Sayuri's life. I feel as though I am well acquainted with all the different characters she brings into her story. And that's what I've decided I like most about the book. I'm kept so engaged I can hardly stop reading. Not many books are that powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment