Tuesday, February 1, 2011

All the Pretty Horses up to pg.180

As exciting as the last few sections have been, I definitely think this was a turning point in the novel. John Grady and Alejandra’s relationship abruptly and unfortunately ends because Alejandra leaves to go to France. The story becomes even more disheartening and serious when John Grady and Rawlins are arrested. They are taken out to the town where Blevins took back his horse and are reunited with Blevins, who was also captured. The police captain doesn’t believe anything Rawlins and John Grady tell him about Blevins, so the two are helpless in saving Blevins and possibly their own lives. Blevins is in prison for killing a few people, something I would never have expected from him since he is so childish and inexperienced. According to Mexican law, there can be no executions as punishments for crimes which you would expect to be beneficial for Blevins. However, the captain agrees to take revenge for the brother of a man Blevins killed. The three men are taken out to an abandoned place where Blevins is murdered. During the event, I was shocked at how Rawlins had tears in his eyes. I didn't know he was capable of feeling bad for Blevins after the way he treated the poor kid. I also feel bad that the two men could do nothing to save Blevins. I wished that the three would be reunited, but I didn't think it would be like this. I don't know that I will be enthusiastic to keep reading the book since I really have nothing to hope for. But that's not really up to me I guess :/

No comments:

Post a Comment