Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke

I started reading the first 29 pages of this novel. And I have to admit, it is quite interesting. Unlike the last book I read, this book is more ficticious, since it talks about magic and about women who i presume to be from the 17th century. The book begins with a background about the importance of magic. I really loved one of the first few lines, "our magic comes from the dark and dreaming heart." I think Clarke did an excellent job of starting the novel, as well as making a good story. The book is separated into different sections about certain things. The book talks about a Mr. Field, his niece Cassandra, Mrs. Field his new wife and Miss Tobias a governess. It also mentions in another section Mr. Strange and Mr. Norrell, two practicing magicians. Strangely the characters are almost all inter connected. Im really interested to see where the inter connected leaders will take me, and what effect it will have later on in the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment